Friday, September 15, 2006

Post Grad Studies in American Universities

Since doctoral studies are looming on the not so distant horizon for me and a number of my peers, I thought some might find this article at the online version of First Things to be informative and interesting. In the spirit of US News and World Report's recent ranking of universities and colleges, Reno has ranked doctoral programs in states. Strangely enough, this seems to be a frequent topic of discussion in the blogosphere in recent days. A number of my friends (at least three of them) will be pleased to see that TEDS is the only evangelical seminary named, and primarily because of Vanhoozer at that. Interesting food for thought, but I still say cross the pond!

(HT: BW3)

5 comments:

T. Baylor said...

Lets hear it for the Hooz!

smlogan said...

let's hear it for mihelis loving liberals! i jest (regarding the inference that would lead some to think that i suppose all "across the pond" are liberals); as to mihelis loving liberals - i'm serious.

Anonymous said...

Aside from the trite metaphor about being "across the pond" what do you think Europe has to offer that you cannot find in a Ph.D. program in the U.S.?

Nate Mihelis said...

"trite metaphor" ouch...some people have no sense of humor.

The reason I say head overseas is primarily because of the program model. I'm not interested in spending too much more time in the classroom, I'd rather spend it in the library researching, writing and dialoguing in the coffee shop, pubs(or tea room if you want to continue my trite metaphors). Nothing against the American model, it's just not what I want to do.

P.S. next time post your name at the bottom so I know who I'm talking to.

Nate Mihelis said...

Logan,

i'm not sure if i should call you out for using the lower case "i" as a typographical error (a little pot and kettle, if you'll pardon another trite metaphor) or if it's an intentional poetic device of the ee cummings persuasion!